Southwest just announced some major changes coming to the Rapid Rewards program. The biggest change that they are introducing is that points will no longer expire!
Table of Contents
Rapid Rewards points no longer expire
We saw United announce in August that their points will no longer expire. Now, Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards points no longer expire and this new rule is already in place! Previously the points expired after 24 months of inactivity.
Companion pass changes
Companion pass allows someone else to travel with you for the entire year, which is a great deal. The pass is valid on both award and revenue tickets. You can also change your designated companion three times per year! From their website:
The Companion Pass allows the Member to designate an individual to fly with the Member (such designated individual, the “Companion”) on Southwest flights purchased by the Member and booked through Southwest during the Companion Pass validity period. A Companion’s reservation is not considered a purchased flight, and therefore, another Companion Pass reservation cannot be booked from it.
Now, they are making it a bit harder to get. The changes coming to the companion pass:
- As of January 1, 2020, Companion Pass will require earning 125,000 qualifying points or flying 100 segments where previously it required earning 110,000 qualifying points or flying 100 segments. Keep in mind that those who earn 110,000 qualifying points before December 31 can still qualify for the Companion Pass.
Qualifying points for your Companion pass are:
- Purchased points
- Transferred or gifted points
- Points earned from program enrollment
- Tier bonus points
- Promotion bonus points
- Flight bonus points
- Partner bonus points
- Points transferred from Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Partner program transfers
- Purchased promotional tier qualifying points
- Only points posted on your billing statements and posted to your Rapid Rewards account during the same calendar year are available for qualification for Companion Pass status
- No points or Companion Pass qualifying points will be awarded for flights taken by the Companion using the Companion Pass
Recommended for you:
About the author: Mila Kostic is a native of Belgrade, Serbia. After majoring in sociology at the Belgrade University she has been working as tutor and coach. Prior to taking on her role at Mighty Travels, she wrote for a video games, fitness, and health lifestyle website. After starting her work with the Mighty Travels team she discovered her passion for travel and travel writing. Now, she is focused on bringing you the newest travel news. In her portfolio here at Mighty Travels, you can find articles on Airline news, hottest credit card deals, tips and tricks on earning miles and much more. You can reach her at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: airline | airlines | AIRPORT | Companion Pass | Companion pass changes | miles | offer | points | program | promotion | Rapid Rewards points | southwest | Southwest Airline | Southwest Airlines | Southwest Companion Pass | Southwest Rapid Rewards | travel | Traveling | trip | world