Months of pro-democracy protests and tension with mainland China have taken their toll on Hong Kong’s top airline, Cathay Pacific. The airline recently reported an 11.3% drop in passengers in August compared to the same period, a drastic drop at a time when the airline can’t afford it. The carrier’s chief executive resigned last month, due to difficult relations with mainland Chinese government and the need for a reset.
Protesters rallied to support Cathay Pacific employees
“I can well appreciate that such volatility can cause concern over what the future may hold, the airline had always been subject to business and geopolitical pressures. Each time we have faced challenging times, we have emerged stronger than ever before. And I do believe this will be the case once again, so have confidence.” John Slosar said in a press statement
Cathay Pacific canceling more flights
Cathay Pacific will be cutting the following flights:
- From October 27, 2019, Cathay Pacific is suspending their 4x weekly flight between Hong Kong and Dublin for the winter
- On October 27, 2019, Cathay Pacific is canceling one of their Hong Kong to Paris flights, which operates 3x weekly
- Cathay Pacific is cutting 3x weekly flights between Hong Kong and New York on October 27, 2019
- From October 29, 2019, Cathay Pacific is cutting 3x weekly flights between Hong Kong and Vancouver
- Cathay Pacific is canceling one of their 5x weekly flights between Hong Kong and Washington on October 30, 2019,
- From November 1, 2019, Cathay Pacific is canceling one of their Hong Kong to Frankfurt flights, which operates 3x weekly
- Some Cathay Dragon flights to Beijing, Medan, and Tokyo are being canceled as well
With the winter season coming, that is usually slower for airlines, and all these flight cuts, Cathay will probably suffer even more financially. The protests are still in full force and show no sign of slowing down.
Recommended for you:
- Cathay Pacific chairman resigns weeks after the resignation of the CEO
- Hong Kong Airlines cutting all Flights to the US
- How to make use of the very low fuel surcharges departing from Hong Kong
- Cathay Pacific Economy Review Cebu (CEB) to Hong Kong (HKG) A330, Plaza Premium Lounge Cebu Review and Cathay Pacific Economy Review Hong Kong (HKG) to San Francisco (SFO) A359
- Cathay Pacific Review Business Class New York, JFK to Hong Kong, HKG – CX845
- Review: Cathay Pacific Business Class Hong Kong (HKG) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) – CX 723
- All About the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Program
- ANA, Cathay and more airlines joined TSA Pre, United resumes San Francisco-Auckland service (but where is the award availability?)
- Cathay Pacific First Class Review – Los Angeles to Hong Kong – CX 883
- 8x on Apple, Cathay Pacific brings A350 to SFO, visit Russia visa-free, 3,500 miles per Avis rental, new Qatar Business Class seat, impressive WOW Air stats
About the author: Mila Kostic is a native of Belgrade, Serbia.
After majoring in sociology at the Belgrade University she has been working as tutor and coach.
Prior to taking on her role at Mighty Travels, she wrote for a video games, fitness, and health lifestyle website. After starting her work with the Mighty Travels team she discovered her passion for travel and travel writing. Now, she is focused on bringing you the newest travel news.
In her portfolio here at Mighty Travels, you can find articles on Airline news, hottest credit card deals, tips and tricks on earning miles and much more.
You can reach her at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: airlines | cathay | Cathay Pacific | executive | flights | FLIGHTS CANCELING | pacific
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |