Direct flights Samoa-Los Angeles
American Samoa governor Lolo Matalasi Moliga confirmed to local broadcaster Talanei that Samoa Airways will launch direct services to the U.S. mainland – specifically Los Angeles. Currently, neither of the Samoas have a direct connection to the U.S. mainland. The American Samoan government is looking into legal means to overcome current U.S. cabotage rules that forbid foreign carriers from entering and serving Pago Pago – Los Angeles route.
What is the cabotage rule?
Cabotage is the transport of goods or passengers between two places in the same country by a transport operator from another country. For cabotage purposes “United States” includes all U.S. territories. Therefore, a foreign-registered carrier is not permitted to carry passengers solely within American Samoa or between American Samoa and Honolulu. These would be considered cabotage violations.
How will they get around the cabotage rule?
American Samoa has a specific route to get around the cabotage law. They are planning a minor detour. The route would start in Pago-Pago, then they plan on going to Faleolo international airport and therefore avoiding the cabotage law. Faleolo international airport is located west of Apia, the capital of Samoa. American Samoa and Samoa (Independent State of Samoa) are just 120 km apart which will make the detour barely noticeable. American Samoa has an internal exception from the cabotage law for flights between Pago-Pago to Ofu and Fitiuta.
Samoa Airways does not operate any aircrafts capable of reaching the US mainland. The carrier was due to take delivery of a B737-9 earlier this year but the type was grounded globally. Samoa Airways had to resort to wet-leasing a B737-800 from Malaysia.
Recommended for you:
- British Airways increasing the cost of some Avios redemptions in the US in 2016
- Get 100,000 Bonus Membership Rewards points with The Business Platinum Card from American Express
- Emirates First Class A380 Review Dubai (DXB) to Los Angeles (LAX) EK215
- Photo Review : BlueSky Executive Lounge Jakarta CGK – Soekarno-Hatta International Airport
- Turkish let’s you fly anywhere in the world for about $2,000 in Business Class now, Emirates improves WiFi, Qatar also says goodbye to laptop ban, Etihad relaunches (paid) chauffeur service, ThankYou Points bonus
- Shanghai Airlines & Emirates new Business Class, Etihad cancels Dallas, AMEX kills OPEN, Wizz Air growing pains, Delta throws $38 million at political correctness
- Qatar now ‘buys American’, Beijing’s new airport, did you just buy 175 Boeing 737MAX?, $20 off any Avis reservation, Chase changing Hyatt visa card
- Delta to start Lagos service, Qatar adds meal pre-booking options and 18,000 Avios for $187
- Our handpicked favorite airfare deals in Business and Economy for December 7th 2017
- Etihad and Hong Kong Airlines to start joint venture?, Air New Zealand get serious about Australia flights, Plenti shutting down
About the author: Mila Kostic is a native of Belgrade, Serbia.
After majoring in sociology at the Belgrade University she has been working as tutor and coach.
Prior to taking on her role at Mighty Travels, she wrote for a video games, fitness, and health lifestyle website. After starting her work with the Mighty Travels team she discovered her passion for travel and travel writing. Now, she is focused on bringing you the newest travel news.
In her portfolio here at Mighty Travels, you can find articles on Airline news, hottest credit card deals, tips and tricks on earning miles and much more.
You can reach her at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: Airways | Best Airline | Samoa Airways
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |