A Russian Ural Airlines Airbus A321 made an emergency landing in a cornfield outside Moscow’s Zhukovsky International Airport on Thursday after hitting a flock of birds during take-off, causing both engines to malfunction, according to the airline.
Two pilots, Captain Damir Yusupov, and First Officer Gregory Murzin executed a truly miraculous landing. After take-off, the plane sustained numerous bird strikes to its engines. The bird strikes caused dual engine failure and the pilots landed the plane with the landing gear up! The two pilots landed the plane near the village of Rybaki which is only 5km from the runway at Moscow-Zukowsky Airport.
The hero pilots
All passengers were successfully evacuated. The Ministry of Health said 23 passengers suffered mostly minor injuries in the landing, which Russian news program dubbed the “miracle over Ramensk” in a reference to 2009’s “Miracle on the Hudson” near New York City. Ural airlines reported that the pilots are highly experienced with more than 3,000 logged hours.
The May Moscow crash
A similar situation happened in Russia with a not so fortunate ending. In May 41 passengers died when a flight from a different Russian airline carrying 78 people crash-landed at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport and burst into flames. Aeroflot flight, a Sukhoi SSJ-100 regional jet, had taken off for the northern city of Murmansk before it was forced to turn around with 73 passengers and five crew members on board, airport officials said. The airport statement said the plane’s hard landing started the fire. The jet experienced technical issues and they had no other option than to turn around. The incident caused at least 53 flights to be delayed and one canceled.
Recommended for you:
- Virgin Atlantic Business Class Review San Francisco (SFO) to London (LHR) 787
- Alaska Mileage Plan adds Singapore Airlines, great Amex offers incl. 10,000 Membership Rewards points on Virgin Atlantic, 100,000 AMEX Hilton Surpass offer, so many new airline routes…
- Are the business class cheap tickets Europe to Asia the beginning of a new airline pricing paradigm?, direct flights from Houston to Angola!, IHG on the march in Middle East and Africa
- JetBlue Founder’s New Airline got the airplanes they needed to start!
- $99 fares to/from Mexico City, 30,000 AA Bonus miles, $50 off Tripadvisor hotels, 10% off Qatar flights, 1,000 Aeroplan miles and exciting new airline routes
- WOW – Los Angeles (LAX) – Shanghai (PVG) $348 RT with Sichuan Airlines
- WOW $55 one-ways to Europe, topbonus changes redemptions, United adds Singapore 787 service from LA, Qatar to start Ugandan affiliate?, Citibank loose Hilton cards
- Wyndham 15,000 points with two stays, new Indian Ocean airline alliance?, Starlux Airlines orders plenty of A350, new Radisson Panama, new Intercontinental Colombo
- WOW Air to return in October
- Ural Airlines Economy Review St. Petersburg (LED) to Yekaterinburg (SVX)
About the author: Mila Kostic is a native of Belgrade, Serbia.
After majoring in sociology at the Belgrade University she has been working as tutor and coach.
Prior to taking on her role at Mighty Travels, she wrote for a video games, fitness, and health lifestyle website. After starting her work with the Mighty Travels team she discovered her passion for travel and travel writing. Now, she is focused on bringing you the newest travel news.
In her portfolio here at Mighty Travels, you can find articles on Airline news, hottest credit card deals, tips and tricks on earning miles and much more.
You can reach her at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: airlines | new airline | Russian Ural Airlines
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |