– good news from Singapore Airlines – the Silkair brand will soon be folded into the ‘mainline’ Singapore Airlines brand
The changes are part of a turnaround program that is already increasing profits for Singapore Airlines.
Singapore Airlines also promises to install lie flat seats in the new 737 MAX Business Class that Silkair has on order.
Some Silkair routes will end up in the Scoot portfolio – others will see mainline service.
Singapore Airlines is serious about improving their portfolio after killing the Tiger brand last year. And if you need an award ticket you could not add Silkair flights before – when they come under the Singapore Airlines umbrella – you can!
– Singapore Airlines Krisflyer also launched vrooms that allows you to earn and redeem Krisflyer miles for hotels and car rentals
You will quickly notice that the redemption rates aren’t great and neither are the earn rates but it is always good to have more options.
– Air Belgium has finally secured Siberian overflight rights (Russia typically makes them available only to one airline per country i.e. Brussels Airlines in that case) and the airline plans to launch June 3rd, 2018
– Emirates is battling their ‘pilot shortage’ with drastic measures – now just three pilots will be on duty for ultra long-haul flights
Apparently a lot of pilots are concerned – not just by the reduction of in-flight rest (by about 1/3) but also in combination with the pre-existing Emirates requirements of 100 pilot hours per month and many new pilots who have just minimal experience.
Here is what one poster (presumably an industry insider) has to say:
To try to solve the pilot shortage, Emirates is attempting to recruit desperate guys from Venezuela who have a CPL only, poor English, zero experience of LVO/Winter Ops, some with no experience working at an airline, or flying a jet.
Emirates is willing to put them straight into an A380 – operating a 3 man 17hr FDP before disruption, to East Coast US during January Snowstorms, or over the Himalayas through the night to China. And they’ll be watched over by a 30 year old ex-cadet Captain who may not have seen more than 1/2 de-icing in his life and has never flown a plane above 500ft.
Emirates is flying these big jets with a minimal crew (less than any other airline for flights of that distance) and is pushing the limits. This does not seem like a good or safe decision.
Recommended for you:
- My Favorite Flights and Award Redemptions for 2017
- Maximizing Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Awards
- EXPIRES TODAY! Cheap Singapore Airlines flights to Tokyo (NRT) from Los Angeles (LAX) from $398 RT
- Best use of American Express Membership Rewards for flights
- Luxurious Maldives using Miles & Points – how to best experience the world’s bath tub
- 70,000 Chase Ink Plus Business Card – What are good uses of Ultimate Rewards points?
- the worlds most avoidable air disaster?, Double Krisflyer miles, COPA adds second SFO flight, 30,000 GOL Smiles miles for $129, Ethiopian adds Conakry
- Which airlines fly the A380 in First Class – and how you can book yourself a ticket using miles
- Emirates First Class A380 Review Dubai (DXB) to Los Angeles (LAX) EK215
- Expedia $50 off, ctrip buys Skyscanner, venere.com closing down, direct Jayapura to PNG flights, $500 RT to Tokyo on Singapore Airlines, $30 off Amazon Prime
Questions, corrections, ideas about this article? Catch us on Twitter @mightytravels
See how to save $190 on ANY airfare ticket with Mighty Travels Premium
. Plus get 95% off Business and First Class fares with Real-Time Mistake Fare Alerts
Start your 30 Day FREE TRIAL now.
Want free upgrades, free breakfasts, free hotel credit & VIP gifts on ANY luxury hotel stay? Get these free benefits when you book with luxury travel concierge
for the same price as the hotel’s own website. Use code MT19 for an extra 10% off
your first booking.
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents.
Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines.
You can reach Torsten at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: Air Belgium | airline | airlines | BUSINESS CLASS | car rentals | China | Earn | Emirates | Flight | flights | hotel | hotel booking | Hotels | Increasing | Krisflyer | miles | Russia | Singapore | Singapore Airlines
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |