IHG is back with Accelerate promotion for Q2 2018, 10,000 EuroBonus for car rentals, Sri Lanka loosing ETOPS, Boracay will really close April 26, LAX gets a Centurion lounge!
– IHG is back with their new Accelerate offer for stays after April 30th (the current version is running right now)
Every member gets their own personal offer.
My offer is 47,300 points for 5 nights at two Holiday Inn Express. I usually get one cent or more for IHG Rewards Club redemptions so this sounds like a great deal to me.
– Avis and EuroBonus are back with their joint promotion and offer 10,000 Eurobonus miles for a 3-day rental that is at least a Class C vehicle
You have to book through the website and prices are generally pretty steep. It is clear that they make you pay for the miles. I generally pay around $30 for an intermediate car (for four or more people). So I’d end up paying $50-$90 more for 10,000 miles. This can still be a decent deal if you find something in the range of $50 or less in premium.
– Sri Lankan is loosing its ETOPS certification for their A321neo which may create longer flying times and/or cancellations
The regulator has said in a letter to SriLankan Airlines that it did not find any cogent reason for the decision to release the aircraft to operate the flight without further technical checks. It has thus established that the incident was “totally preventable”.
“In this instance, the [engine] manufacturer raised an urgent work card but the relevant department did not give due recognition to it and released the aircraft for commercial flights,” the CAASL has said. Reportedly, the engine manufacturer alerted the carrier already on January 5 but SriLankan only conducted a thorough inspection on January 19, arguing that the aircraft had been unavailable for maintenance earlier due to “engagement in commercial flights”.
During follow-up audits, the CAASL has established that the “lackadaisical” approach of SriLankan Airlines to maintenance has not been rectified yet and, as such, the carrier’s ETOPS certification for the neo Family aircraft will continue to be suspended.
– I thought it was a joke but it seems Boracay is really shutting down for six months starting April 26 (check your flights and hotels reservations for cancellation options)
– great news – LAX is getting a Centurion lounge which will cost American Express $3.4 million per year just for the lease (plus any operating costs)
AMEX likely spends $10-$15 million per lounge/per year – that is more than $100 million for the lounge network per year. That’s a big amount but there are likely 1.5 million Centurion and Platinum card holders now.
It takes ‘only about 200k paying members who pay the annual fee to pay (assuming no other cost from teh card members and also no other profits from transaction fees) for the lounge network.
Recommended for you:
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents. Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines. You can reach Torsten at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: car rentals | EuroBonus | JourneyBlitz promotion | promotion