The German magazine FOCUS reports that Etihad is apparently busy negotiating with their new found love affair Lufthansa.
After Lufthansa decided against taking over Air Berlin outright earlier this year the parties are now negotiating an asset lease where Lufthansa takes over most of the Air Berlin/ Air Serbia and Alitalia short haul flights.
Lufthansa is short on planes for their monstrous new Eurowings project that is supposed to makes sure Ryanair will get a run for its money.
Etihad of course wants to stem the losses and get access to more Lufthansa codeshares. Founding member of Star Alliance (and also having their headquarters in the same city) the airline is supposed to put its weight behind a fast track Etihad Star Alliance application approval.
This would all be good news – Etihad gets rid of the money losing short haul business it should have never been in in the first place. Lufthansa gets the strategic might against Ryanair and Etihad becomes a full Star Alliance member and continues to invest into its superb long haul service.
From Focus via Google Translate:
Lufthansa is economically successful and has just doubled its operating profit – to one billion euros in the first half of 2017. The carrier wants to quickly expand its low-cost fleet to 300 aircraft by the daughters Eurowings / Germanwings (130 engines), to provide Ryanair (392 aviators) And other low-cost airlines. Etihad is keen to get rid of its stake in Air Berlin (29 percent), including the accumulated loss of a good one billion euros. A consortium under Lufthansa’s stake could take over the shares. As FOCUS writes on the basis of negotiations, Air Berlin could already need a new capital injection at the end of 2017. In return, Etihad wants Lufthansa to get more common long-haul flights (code sharing) and access to the flight alliance Star Alliance, FOCUS reports. Lufthansa did not want to comment on the content of the talks.
Recommended for you:
- Lufthansa & Etihad to merge?, new Centurion lounge, 50k Chase United card, a Cheap way to New Zealand, Cathay cutting further, 3,000 bonus points per Marriott stay & more
- Lufthansa to buy Norwegian?, India’s Vistara to add international destinations, Air Belgium planning US flights, new sleeping facilities at Abu Dhabi airport
- Etihad finally going all in for Star Alliance?, first Iberia promotional points are posting, Lyft bets on bike sharing, American Airlines dropping carry-on restrictions for Basic Economy?
- My Favorite Flights and Award Redemptions for 2017
- Is this the end of airberlin? airberlin to stop flying October 28th
- United Basic Economy Review San Francisco (SFO) to Salt Lake City (SLC)
- Lufthansa & Etihad ‘mini merger’, new South African 330, RwandaAir A330 Business Class, World of Hilton, 2,000 points per Hilton stay, 70,000 Chase United card, buy access to Emirates lounges & more
- How to find the Miles & More award chart, countries per region and the cost of Miles & More awards
- Aegean Business Class Lounge Athens Airport (ATH) Photo Review
- Accor buys Moevenpick, South African’s endgame?, Etihad takes on Emirates, Alaska goes single engine, IHG has a new Pointbreaks list
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents.
Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines.
You can reach Torsten at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: alliance | Etihad | etihad equity alliance | etihad merger | flights | light | lufthansa | merger | negotiating
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |