– major news today as Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Yemen have announced a blockade of Qatar land, air and sea routes
Saudia Arabia and it’s affiliates have grown increasingly angered over the role Qatar has taken to position itself as a mediator between the many factions in the region. The move is unprecedented in modern times and is seemingly designed to bring the Qatar regime in line with Saudi Arabia. The US has major political, military and economic investments in all those countries.
The countries have instructed airlines operating in their territory to discontinue all flights to Doha (teh country’s sole airport) and have warned foreign carriers that they would loose landing and overflight rights if they continue to fly to Doha.
This is a major hassle for all travelers and will be a headache for anyone in the region even without travel plans to Doha. Qatar Airways will have to discontinue flights to the countries initiating the blockade right away.
Qatar Airways will also face delay and route changes as it can’t fly over the blockading nations anymore. This will play out in the coming weeks – anyone with travel plans to the region stay alert.
Saudi Arabia is now treating Qatar like Israel (if not worse given the recent thaw in relations between the countries). Maybe that was that grand bargain the US had to choose lately.
– United Airlines is finally cutting flights to Caracas – a move that was much anticipated as the country descend further into chaos and it’s seemingly impossible to get money out of the country
United Airlines (UA, Chicago O’Hare) has announced it will be withdrawing from the Venezuelan market with effect from July 1. The US carrier, which currently serves Caracas Simón Bolivar daily from Houston Intc’l using B737-800 equipment, said in a statement the route was no longer financially viable.
Recommended for you:
- An introduction to Qatar Airways Privilege Club, Award Chart, Award Availability, Fuel Surcharges & Destinations
- Royal Jordanian 787 business class award availability
- What’s the Best Use of 20,000 AAdvantage Miles?
- Qatar Dhaka – Houston just $1407 RT Business Class, Qatar orders 100 new planes (!) and Saudia’s early retirement, Sri Lankan’s mismanagement
- Airfare Deal – Houston, TX to Sharjah, United Arab Emirates $808
- New inflight electronics ban, $30 off every flight, 20% off Hyatt stays, changes to the Alaska Companion Pass, Condor is Alaska Airlines newest partner
- Redeem AAdvantage miles with partner Gulf Air
- Earn triple Starpoints with new SPG® Earn Away global promotion
- Up to 50% off in the GHA (Global Hotel Alliance) flash sale
- Airfare Deal – from Washington, DC to Sharjah, United Arab Emirates $713 on Qatar
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents.
Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines.
You can reach Torsten at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: airlines | AIRPORT | Airways | Arab Emirates | Bahrain | Chicago | Doha | Emirates | flights | Holidays Inn | hotel | hotel booking | Israel | Qatar | Qatar Airways | Saudi Arabia | Saudia | Saudia Arabia | travel | travelers | Traveling | travels | United Airlines | United Arab Emirates
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |