– Air India is offering the Round Trip from Colombo, Sri Lanka to Milan, Italy for $1,099 in Business Class
The booking class Z earns 200% on many Star Alliance programs and the new 787 planes are not so shabby.
– XiamenAir is breaking into the US market with cheap Business Class tickets from Los Angeles to Guangzhou for $1,843 Round Trip
– is Emirates thinking of making flyDubai their short-haul arm?
Earlier this year, Emirates President Tim Clark said studies were currently underway concerning the potential addition of narrowbody capacity to the Emirates fleet. The aircraft would be used to open up new routes whose demand may not require the use of the carrier’s B777 aircraft initially.
As such, when questioned by Gulf News on enhanced synergies between Emirates and flydubai given the latter’s fleet consists entirely of B737-800s, Al Maktoum said something could be done. “I cannot spell it out. But you will hear something about it in the near future,” he said.
– amazingly even Congress has realized that there is no competition in the US domestic airline market – Oscar Munoz has had to sweat through it
“It’s an absolute joke that there’s competition in the airline industry,” Duncan Hunter, R-Ca., said during the hearing.
Airlines do have monopolies over certain routes. As Hunter noted, it’s impossible to fly directly from San Diego to New York without booking United.
– Boston is now the US most expensive hotel market and San Francisco is getting much cheaper (but is still in the US TOP 10)
On year-over-year basis, the U.S. average online room rate is now up (+2.1%), this May, from a year ago, which is higher than the previous month’s year-over-year growth rate of (−3.1%). This May, the average online room rate in Boston, after rising (+9.2%) from last year, hit $415 a night, making the city the most expensive destination among the top-25 U.S. hotel markets. New York takes the second place now, in May, with an online room rate nowcast at $360, after an increase of (+0.3%) from a year ago. In Washington D.C., the online room rate in May is now growing (+1.4%) from last year to $355 a night, ranking the city in the third place of the most expensive destinations in the United States.