So many Etihad planes seemed shockingly empty during the Gulf ‘high season; in November I was surprised. Plus the Abu Dhabi airport suddenly has no growth in passengers numbers anymore. Something is off in Etihad (and Emirates) land.
Etihad has access to some of the worlds most generous funding but the company has made some surprising announcements.
Etihad to lay off ‘big numbers’ of corporate staff
The details are not yet clear .
The Abu Dhabi-based carrier, which has expanded its interests rapidly in recent years, says that a company restructuring will “result in a measured reduction of headcount in some parts of the business.”
A spokesman said the airline was “operating in an increasingly competitive landscape, against a backdrop of weakened global economic conditions. It’s a challenging time.”
If the layoffs would be small (or just ‘natural attrition’ there would be no need to talk much about it.
Even more surprising after all the back and forth deal over Air Berlin and their short-haul operation it now seems that Etihad wants to get rid of the whole ‘going concern’ that is called ‘Air Berlin’.
A report in Germany’s leading business daily, “Handelsblatt,” on Monday said that German federal and state governments had approved a plan for Germany’s leading airline, Lufthansa, to take over the country’s second-biggest, Air Berlin.
Thomas Winkelmann’s appointment as Air Berlin’s new CEO, who has been assigned the task of managing the integration of Air Berlin into Lufthansa, was decided by agreement between Lufthansa CEO Carsten Spohr and Etihad Airways CEO James Hogan. Etihad currently owns 30 percent of Air Berlin, and has been keeping the financially troubled German carrier flying by providing financing.
I have been skeptical that Air Berlin will survive and Lufthansa will have a unique opportunity to kill any remaining ‘legacy airline competition’ with this move.
Recommended for you:
- Amazing Qatar sale from Europe, Lufthansa almost ready to buy Air Berlin, Emirates stopped growing?, CVS stops sales of Paypal cards, $75 off Bloomingdales, 50% off Spotify, cheap Hyatt points with Daily Getaways
- Etihad Business Class Review (London – Abu Dhabi A340)
- US Preclearance now open at Abu Dhabi airport
- Qatar and Asiana emergency landings, 40% off Hilton Asia-Pacific, Etihad kills AirBerlin, AirBaltic sale, Sri Lankan adds Gan island & more
- 150,000 Chase Marriott offer, free flight in Thailand, 2,000 Flexperks bonus offer, Etihad’s dropping numbers, Air Berlin’s crisis and Transasia bites the dust
- Etihad First Class Lounge & Spa Abu Dhabi Airport (AUH) Review
- Airfare Deal – from Johannesburg, South Africa to Dublin, Ireland $539 on Etihad Airways
- Airfare Deal – from New York to Colombo, Sri Lanka $912 on Etihad Airways
- Skywards 50% award sale, Chase to restrict Sapphire cards, China’s airline changing strategy?, Etihad adds another codeshare partner, Melia Hamburg Hafencity opens
- Updated Bandung City Guide, 3,000 Miles to test drive an Audi, Air Berlin cancelling flights to Abu Dhabi and beyond, Hong Kong Airlines announces London, San Francisco and New York, Norwegian to run out of cash soon?
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents.
Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines.
You can reach Torsten at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: Abu Dhabi | Abu Dhabi airport | Air Berlin | airline | AIRPORT | Airways | Berlin | CLEAR | deal | Emirates | Etihad | Etihad Airways | Germany | Germany's | Holidays Inn | hotel booking | lufthansa | Photo Review | Traveling
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |