What is vacation ownership?
As we explained previously, vacation ownership is property timeshare, where more than one owner agrees to use the same vacation property at particular times.
What is Starwood vacation ownership?
Starwood Vacation Network Inc. (a subsidiary of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.) has 19 Starwood villa resorts scattered throughout the United States, Mexico and the Caribbean.
Starwood vacation ownership customers can choose to holiday in luxury villa resorts or gain privileged access to over 1,100 hotels and resorts in nearly 100 countries with Starwood Preferred Guest – as an owner, you get automatic SPG Gold Preferred status.
What are the benefits of SPG Gold Preferred status?
From free night awards and award flights with no blackout dates to late check-out and an enhanced or upgraded room where available – plus you earn 3 Starpoints for every dollar spent.
Tell me more about the Starwood vacation ownership options:
Owners have five options available:
– When you join Starwood Vacation Network, you choose a Home Resort where you can holiday every year. To book, you need to call Owner Services several months beforehand.
– Without a fee, you can exchange your Home Resort week for one in a different villa resort on a first-come, first-served basis.
– With your SPG Gold Preferred status, you can choose to convert your week's vacation into Starpoints to use at Starwood's 1,100 properties.
– Signature Escapes is Starwood's partnerships with travel providers, where your vacation can be personally arranged for you.
– For a fee, you can use External Exchange to stay in villas at one of 2,600 additional resorts around the world.
How much does Starwood vacation ownership cost?
Costs for the Starwood Vacation Network really do vary, depending on the package bought. As with any timeshare option, there should be room to negotiate. However, there is also an annual fee – the cost of which is dependent on your package. Searching around, it seems just the annual fee itself is often around $1,000, and that's before the cost of your timeshare plan.
As with any timeshare company, think carefully before diving in deep. Just because Starwood is renowned for its luxury product, it doesn't automatically mean their vacation ownership is solid. As many thumbs up that I've seen about Starwood vacation ownership, I've read just as many complaints, so do your homework.
If you like this post – subscribe via email or follow us on Twitter.
Recommended for you:
- Starwood Hot Escapes – Excellent 5* deals including 69% off Sheraton Hua Hin Pranburi Villas, Thailand
- Starwood sale – up to 50% off selected Asia Pacific hotels and resorts
- Starwood Gold promotion offer – Gold status with just one stay!
- Starwood Hotels in Europe, Africa and the Middle East – Earn up to €100 (US $135) per night in food & beverage credit
- Starwood sale – up to 50% off selected hotels and resorts in Australia and Pacific plus double Starpoints
- 10,000 Starpoints if you stay at two Aloft hotels in Latin America (plus double Starpoints)
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts – exclusive offers in Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai and Abu Dhabi
- Up to 50% off your stays at Starwood hotels & resorts in Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia
- Up to 50% off your stays at Starwood hotels & resorts in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore
- Earn double, triple or up to 3,000 bonus Starpoints with Starwood hotels and resorts in Europe, Africa and the Middle East
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents.
Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines.
You can reach Torsten at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: award | awards | before | Benefits | Book | cheap flights | Earn | Escapes | Fare Class | first | flights | holiday | Hotels | Hotels and resorts | Los Angeles | Marriott Starwood | Mexico | Miles Flown | Plan | Preferred Guest | Resort | SPG Gold Preferred | Starpoints | Starwood | Starwood Hotels | Starwood Hotels & Resorts | Starwood Preferred | Starwood Preferred Guest | travel | Travel Insurance | Travelex | world
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |