Cancun is perhaps the most famous Mexican resort town for American tourists and always rated as the best place for Spring Breakers. The special thing about Cancun is that it is fairly easy to get there from many US Cities because Cancun is one of the biggest airline hub in the Mexico/Caribbean area. Cancun has an amazing irresistible white-sand beach
Cancun is 2 and a half hour drive to Chichen Itza, a large Mayan archaeological site and one of the most notable and recognized landmarks on the Yucatan. The site itself was originally a main hub of Mayan civilization and has since been named a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The focal point of the ruins is the pyramid-like El Castillo that was once used by Mayans as a temple to worship.
There are many other great things about Cancun however the main focus of this post is about best hotel redemption in Cancun in my opinion
1. Radisson Hotel Hacienda, Cancun
– Redemption rate: this hotel is Club Carlson category 1 with 9,000 Gold points per night and the room rate is regularly $80 which make it .9 cent per point.
– If you have a Club Carlson Credit Card, you can stay 1 night and get 1 night for free. The credit card will make it 1.8 cent/point for this redemption which is probably the best value for Club Carlson Gold point.
– Located in downtown Cancun which is not directly on Kukulkan blvd – resort strip
– The hotel also offers free roundtrip shuttle to beach club.
2. Hyatt Regency Cancun – 8,000 points for a free night – Category 2 hotel
– The daily rate for this hotel is about $200 – 2.5 cent/point redemption
– This hotel is situated on the prestigious Kukulcan Avenue, just a few steps from shopping centers, restaurants, cultural attractions and the best nightlife are of the city.
– Guests can enjoy many activities include a relaxing beach spa, fitness centre, water volleyball, yoga, beach football, or pay a visit pok-ta-ta-pok golf course. Cancun`s underwater museum, thematic parks, cenotes, and cultural attractions such as Chichen Itza and Tulum.
– Hyatt's points can be accumulated via Chase Ultimate Reward programs with Chase Ink, Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Freedom credit cards
3. Another good redemption comes from Aloft Cancun – Opening June 10, 2013 (A Starwood Property)
– The daily rate of this hotel is $139
– This is a Starwood category 2 hotel which means 3,000 points for weekend and 4,000 points for weekday (3.5 to 4.6 cent/point redemption)
– This hotel also offers 2,000 points + $35 (cash and point redemption) at a value of 5.2 cent/point
– The Aloft is not beach front and very close to the Hyatt Regency
– This is a hip new hotel where you'll be steps away from the convention center. They offer easy-breezy access to the beach, upscale shopping, sizzling entertainment, vibrant nightlife, and the best restaurants in town.
4. If you are poor in points and rich in cash, you can stay at Holiday Inn Express : Cancun Zona Hotelera with the Family and Friends rate for $60 per night
– This rate won't award you points or elite nights however $60 per night at a resort town is a steal
– The hotel is centrally located near the Cancun Center conference venue but it is not facing the beach
– The hotel's location in Cancun, Mexico is in the northern part of the Hotel Zone, conveniently located near Tortugas Beach and Playa Linda Beach. Also near the hotel's property is the Pok-ta-Pok golf course. Many guests enjoy taking a day trip to tour nearby Mayan ruins or visit such attractions as La Isla Shopping Mall in the Cancun Hotel Zone.
– These three properties represent good value hotel redemption. Starwood points have the highest redemption rate but also is the hardest to obtain among the three. Hyatt Regency is a great hotel on the beach with a very good redemption. Hyatt points can be easily transferred from Chase Ultimate program. Therefore if I am rich in Chase Ultimate points, I would go for the Hyatt Regency Cancun. I also currently have the Club Carlson Visa Card which gives me stay 1 night get 1 night free thus I am leaning more towards the Radisson Cancun.
– If you are going to spend a week in Cancun, I would spend the first 2 nights at the Radisson Cancun, next 2 nights at the Hyatt Regency, and last 2 nights at Radisson Cancun. The whole trip for 6 nights would cost me only 18,000 Club Carlson points and 16,000 Hyatt points.
Recommended for you:
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents. Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines. You can reach Torsten at [email protected]