The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Earn 100K Membership Rewards® points after you spend $3,000 during your first three months of Card membership
- Premium travel benefits: access over 600 lounges worldwide with Priority Pass™Select, no foreign transaction fees, bypass airport arrival lines with Global Entry
- Entertainment benefits: get Advance Tickets before the public and access once in a lifetime events with By Invitation Only®
- 24/7 Platinum Card® Concierge service for assistance with reservations, travel, gifts, and more
Fine Hotels & Resorts Program: exclusive upgrades and amenities at over 700 boutique, resort, and luxury hotels worldwide
- Terms and restrictions apply.
American Express® Premier Rewards Gold Card
- Earn More: earn 50K Membership Rewards® points after you spend $1K during your first 3 months of Card membership; earn 15K points after you spend $30K within one calendar year
- Earn Fast: Earn triple points on airfare, double points on gasoline at U.S. stand-alone gas stations, double points at U.S. stand-alone supermarkets, and single points on other purchase
- Points are earned only on eligible purchases
- Redeem with Flexibility – use points for gift cards for dining, entertainment, and to shop over 300 brands
- Access to Benefits: enjoy the Baggage Insurance Plan* when you travel, and shop with confidence with Extended Warranty* and Return Protection. *Underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company
- Preferred Seating – select concerts, shows, major sporting events, and more
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $175
- Terms and Restrictions Apply
I received instant approval for both.
The AMEX Platinum card carries a heavy fee of $450 but you can use it for $200 in airline credits in 2013 and 2014. This essentially cancels out the fee (if you buy any airline tickets at all in the next 5 years). The total of 150k MR can be used for 200k BA Avios (if the transfer bonus is coming back, which I think it will) enough for 4 RT in Business MIA-LIM!
Update It seems I have not paid enough attention to a new T&C paragraph which may prohibit the sign up bonus for the second card i.e. the card one signs up second. So far I have had great experiences with AMEX mostly so let's see what happens.