Good news for all the Cathay Pacific frequent flyers! Cathay Pacific just introduced a big change to its frequent flyer program. Starting january 1, 2020, your Cathay Pacific Asia Miles will no longer expire.
Cathay Pacific Miles Will No Longer Expire
Starting January 1, 2020, your Cathay Pacific Asia Miles will no longer expire. However, you will have to have some sort of earning or spending activity at least once every 18 months. Keep in mind that only miles credited on or after January 1, 2020, will fall under this new activity-based rule and will remain active as long as members earn or use their miles at least once every 18 months.
From the Cathay Pacific website:
“We’ve listened to your needs when it comes to making the most of living a Life Rewarded. That’s why, starting from 1 January 2020, we’ll be making our Miles as timeless as the experiences and memories you create with us. They’ll no longer expire as long as you earn or use your Miles regularly. Get ready to discover all the rewarding possibilities with our new arrangement.”
After January 1, 2020, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles will have two systems in place:
- Time-based System – Miles credited before 1 January 2020 will follow the existing time-based rule and continue to expire on a 3-year basis
- Activity-based System – Miles credited on or after 1 January 2020 will fall under the activity-based rule and they’ll remain active as long as you earn or use your Miles at least once every 18 months
Miles will be used on a first-in-first-out basis. If you have Miles falling under both the time-based and activity-based system, and you want to redeem an Award, your Miles under the time-based system will be used first. You can also renew miles earned under the time-based system to the new activity-based system with a fee. The online fee will be $40 while trough other channels will be $100.
You will be able to keep your miles active by:
- You can earn Miles and redeem Flight Awards by flying with any one of Asia Miles’ 26 airline partners
- Redeem Asia Miles for Travel Awards such as hotel stays, car rental, and travel experiences
- Use Miles to redeem Lifestyle Awards from concert tickets to tech gadgets, homewares and more
- You can also spend with Cathay Pacific and Asia Miles co-branded credit cards or convert credit card points
Recommended for you:
About the author: Mila Kostic is a native of Belgrade, Serbia. After majoring in sociology at the Belgrade University she has been working as tutor and coach. Prior to taking on her role at Mighty Travels, she wrote for a video games, fitness, and health lifestyle website. After starting her work with the Mighty Travels team she discovered her passion for travel and travel writing. Now, she is focused on bringing you the newest travel news. In her portfolio here at Mighty Travels, you can find articles on Airline news, hottest credit card deals, tips and tricks on earning miles and much more. You can reach her at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: Activity-based System | airfare | airline | airlines | AIRPORT | Asia | Asia Miles | Asia miles card | Asia Miles no longer expire | Card | cathay | Cathay Credit card | Cathay Pacific | Cathay Pacific Asia Miles | credit | Credit Card | Flight Awards | frequent flyer program | Lifestyle Awards | miles | Miles Flown | offer | offers | points | program | promotion | review | Rewards | Time-based System | travel | Traveling | trip | world