Starting March 1, 2020, Alaska Airlines and American Airlines are cutting most of their mileage program ties. As part of the new agreement, flyers will no longer be able to use their Alaska Mileage Plan miles for American Airlines flights, nor will they be able to earn Mileage Plan miles on international American Airlines flights.
Table of Contents
Alaska Airlines and American Frequent Flier Partnership ending
This is the second major round of cuts to this partnership in the past couple of years. As of January 1, 2018, American & Alaska already scaled back their partnership. The airlines cut reciprocal mileage earning on domestic flights, with the exception of codeshare flights. They also cut reciprocal frequent flyer benefits, including free checked bags, priority boarding, preferred seating, and more.
The changes coming
- You will no longer be able to redeem American AAdvantage miles for travel on Alaska Airlines, both domestically and internationally
- Mileage earning on domestic American flights had been cut in early 2018. You will no longer be able to earn Alaska Mileage Plan miles on American Airlines international flights.
- You will no longer be able to redeem Alaska Mileage Plan miles for travel on American Airlines, both domestically and internationally
- You’ll continue to earn one Alaska and American miles on eligible codeshare flights between the two airlines
- Alaska Lounge members can continue to access American Admirals Clubs, and American Admirals Club members can continue to use Alaska Lounges when flying on Alaska Airlines or American Airlines same day
Recommended for you:
About the author: Mila Kostic is a native of Belgrade, Serbia. After majoring in sociology at the Belgrade University she has been working as tutor and coach. Prior to taking on her role at Mighty Travels, she wrote for a video games, fitness, and health lifestyle website. After starting her work with the Mighty Travels team she discovered her passion for travel and travel writing. Now, she is focused on bringing you the newest travel news. In her portfolio here at Mighty Travels, you can find articles on Airline news, hottest credit card deals, tips and tricks on earning miles and much more. You can reach her at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: AAdvantage | AAdvantage miles | Admirals Club | airlines | alaska | Alaska Airline | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Airlines Mileage | Alaska Mileage | Alaska Mileage Plan | american | American AAdvantage | American Airlines | American Airlines and Alaska airlines | American Airlines partners | American Miles | Benefits | checked | coming | Domestic | domestic flights | Earn | earning | flights | frequent flyer | international flights | LOUNGE | Lounges | members | Mileage | Mileage earning | Mileage Plan | miles | partnership | Plan | program | seating | travel