– Singapore Airlines Krisflyer has launched Krispay and new app that allows you to spend Krisflyer miles at a selected number of merchants (so far mostly in Singapore).
I quite like the idea to have miles available to spend on food (not just flights and hotels) brings this loyalty currency much closer to the goal of a universal currency and the implementation looks quite slick. The only issue?Krisflyer miles will only be worth 0.5 cents – that’s really low!
– Aimia (the company that manages Aeroplan and PLM (AeroMexico’s loyalty program) is in trouble – we knew this but the value of the company is now so low that the airlines are bombarding it with hostile takeover offers
I can’t see the company surviving in it’s current form much longer. All the leverage is with the airlines and they simply want the company to cede operations as soon as possible and get their loyalty program back in house (where it belongs!).
– after years of merger, organic growth and record profits troubles are brewing at American and the airline reducing investment and trying to get profits back on track
Doug Parker will clearly regret his 2017 statement soon.
But the bring customers back the airline will eliminate the carry-on restrictions for Basic Economy effective September 5th. Now United is the only major legacy airline with carry-on restrictions for Basic Economy. Expect an annoucement to remove that restriction any day now.
– if me recent anecdotal evidence is any measure Air Asia flights operate close to theoretical load factor (for routes that are at least a few months old)
5 AM flights to Chiang Mai – 100% full. 2 PM flight to Kuala Lumpur from Bangkok 100% full.
Ryanair and Air Asia show every day that the demand for air travel is elastic (and seemingly unlimited) at a range of 2-3 cents per mile. Both airlines publish so many cheap fares (though they do allow free carry-on bags) that we had to remove them from the Mighty Travels Premium Dashboard lately.
Yes the Air Asia experience can be miserable these days but full planes indicate a bright future for the company.
Recommended for you:
- Our handpicked best airfares for December 12th – including San Jose, Pattaya, Langkawi, Tokyo, Bangkok and Algiers
- Cheap flights to Lima (LIM) from Los Angeles (LAX) $400.24 RT
- Cheap flights to Rio de Janeiro (GIG/SDU) from Ontario (ONT) $606.53 RT
- What time is it in New Orleans? It’s vacation time with this cheap flight from Las Vegas (LAS) – $102.18 RT!
- Cathay Pacific First Class Review – the end of a love story?
- Top Three Airlines/Hotels Due for a Devaluation
- Join me for ‘Westward bound’ – my upcoming trip to the Asia, Europe and Middle East – Strategy and Planning
- Interview with Jonny Blair at dontstopliving.net
- Our favorite cheap Business and Economy flight deals for today
- Europe – US $1,229 RT in Business Class, Royal Air Maroc 6,000 miles, UBS new premium travel credit card, Singapore Airlines phasing out A380s, Ryanair and Air Europa to partner
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents.
Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines.
You can reach Torsten at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: Air Asia | airline | airlines | american | Asia | basic Economy | Chiang Mai | Flight | flights | Hotels | merger | mighty travels premium | miles | offers | Ryanair | Singapore | Singapore Airlines | travel | travels
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |