– British Airways is cancelling a ‘mistake fare’ from London to Tel Aviv and Dubai that was so expensive we never sent out deal alerts to subscribers
British Airways has had fares around $300 Round Trip for both destinations for a few days. Given the competition in Europe this isn’t a great fare to begin with – many Low Cost Carriers (in Europe a carry-on is typically included) run this route for $150 Round Trip.
British Airways nevertheless felt the fare is too low for their own revenue expectations. It’s sad that customers have so little to say when airlines unilaterally change/ cancel tickets. I have long argued – airlines and customers should have a policy that encourages both to rely on fares shown and if mistakes happen pay a penalty.
There is a consumer framework in place in the US that works well (24 hours of free cancellation, penalties for changes after that). However delays are not covered by that.
Here is what could work for consumers and airlines alike:
– 24 free cancellation for both parties
– 5%-10% of ticket value as change fee (for both parties)
– 10%-20% of ticket value as refund penalty (for both parties)
– 1%-100% staggered percentage values as penalties for delays (up to a full refund for super long delays i.e. a full of delay)
Such a framework would a level playing field for both sides that takes into account the incentives of both sides. I much prefer percentage values against fixed amounts as EUR 300 compensation for a EUR 10 ticket is just wrong (and penalizes low cost airline entrepreneurs).
– Ethiopian Airlines is tired of playing small and is going big in Africa
African Star Alliance carrier Ethiopian Airlines plans to launch new airlines in Chad, Guinea, Mozambique and Zambia before the end of 2018.
Details are still a bit hard to come by but Ethiopian has several blueprints how to run this under their own name, via a joint venture like ASKY or as a state run airline in Malawi.
If the airline keeps expending at this pace it will control 90% of African air traffic in a few years.
Recommended for you:
- Malawian Airlines Economy Review Blantyre to Lilongwe, Malawi and on to Lusaka, Zambia
- IHG changes award redemption levels, Ethiopian Cheap Business Class from Hong Hong, Wings $10 off promo codes, Starwood pulling Virgin America, Qatar invest in LATAM, new Niagara Falls Doubletree
- Cheap flights from Kigali, Rwanda (KGL) to Dubai (DXB) $238 RT (RWF178,150)
- The fantastic value of United Mileage Plus in Africa – see Mauritius, Johannesburg, Dakar, Seychelles all in oneaward
- Where to Live and Work as a Digital Nomad – Part IV Africa
- American Airlines and US Airways merge – US Airways to join oneworld 3/31/2014 – selected Star Alliance partnerships to remain
- the worlds most avoidable air disaster?, Double Krisflyer miles, COPA adds second SFO flight, 30,000 GOL Smiles miles for $129, Ethiopian adds Conakry
- Where’s the value in the Miles & More award chart?
- Bangkok – Toronto $777 Business Class RT, Qatar Airways keeps ordering planes, 50,000 bonus miles Hawaiian card, 5,000 free Alaska miles
- Why you should sign-up for a Chase Ink Plus Business Card
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents.
Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines.
You can reach Torsten at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: airline | airlines | Airways | alliance | British Airways | Ethiopian | ethiopian airlines | Holidays Inn | hotel booking | low cost airline | Malawi | mistake fare | Photo Review | Traveling | Zambia
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |