– strong numbers from Vietnamese (and now Thai) LCC Vietjet which reported $60 million in quarterly profits on $600 million in revenue just for Q1!
I quite liked Vietjet – though both their Saigon hub and increasingly their operations suffer from overcrowding (as it is the case with Air Asia).
– IAG is apparently low-balling Norwegian with a takeover offer that has a minimal premium to the current stock price
Norwegian has created this mess (a low stock price) but a hastily planned (but well executed) expansion that has been eating into cash flow. Norwegian is no Uber and fund raising is rough for any airline that isn’t state backed.
I wouldn’t be surprised if someone else (like Qatar or Lufthansa) snaps up Norwegian soon.
– there must have been a lawsuit filed – Chase surprisingly rolled back on limiting the use of award nights to anyone with a (now discontinued) IHG Credit card
Every card member will get an unlimited free night certificate before May 2019.
– Etihad can barely fill the planes it already has and is now trying to cancel or sell off the A350 order it has on it’s books
– the Sheraton Bamako (Mali) is finally open
Unlike with recent Marriott additions (like the Marriott Accra) the hotel is expensive using points 12,000 Starpoints per night (or 36,000 Marriott Rewards points)
Recommended for you:
- New Marriott Rewards and SPG transfer rates and what it means for the SPG, Marriott and Ritz-Carlton cards
- Marriott and Starwood post new award chart, LEVEL has a new hub in Vienna, Air Asia’s trouble with computers, Chase launches new Hyatt card
- My Favorite Flights and Award Redemptions for 2017
- Lufthansa & Etihad to merge?, new Centurion lounge, 50k Chase United card, a Cheap way to New Zealand, Cathay cutting further, 3,000 bonus points per Marriott stay & more
- Qatar $1,053 Business RT Europe to Asia, new SPG promo, see the first drone fighter jet, Lufthansa adds A350, Russian visa to get cheaper (or more expensive?), Hilton status match contd.
- My Favorite 26 Things to do Saigon (Ho Chi Minh) (Updated in 2018)
- What’s the cheapest way to get lounge access with Priority Pass?
- 90,000 Virgin Atlantic card is back, 1,600 free Marriott points, WOW Air in Pittsburgh, Scoot and TigerAir merge and more
- Review: Chase Sapphire credit card – earn 40,000 points when signing-up
- 150,000 Chase Marriott offer, free flight in Thailand, 2,000 Flexperks bonus offer, Etihad’s dropping numbers, Air Berlin’s crisis and Transasia bites the dust
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents.
Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines.
You can reach Torsten at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: Air Asia | airline | Asia | Card | Chase | credit | Credit Card | Etihad | hotel | IHG | lufthansa | Marriott | Marriott Rewards | Norwegian | offer | points | Qatar | The Sheraton | Uber | Vietjet | Vietnamese
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |