SPG Amex credit cards update and a look at the new Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury Card
We recently let you know about the details that have emerged abut the new combined Marriott Rewards and SPG loyalty program. Additionally, there will be changes to the credit cards from August 2018, too, including those in the Starwood Preferred Guest portfolio that are co-branded with American Express, as well as a new luxury SPG card being introduced.
Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury Credit Card
The new Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury Credit Card is intended for premium Marriott and SPG loyalty members who seek greater value and travel perks, both when staying at a Marriott Worldwide property and while traveling. The annual fee of $450 will be offset by the benefits that will include:
- Complimentary Gold Elite status.
- Earn Platinum Elite after spending $75k.
- Complimentary additional cards.
- Global Entry/TSA Pre fee credit.
- Statement credit of up to $300 for purchases using your card at participating Marriott Rewards hotels worldwide.
- 15 elite night credits beginning in 2019 (limited to once per member per year).
- Annual free night award (up to 50,000 points) upon card renewal.
- Boingo WiFi access.
The sign-up bonus is yet unannounced but it’s likely to be high. With this card, you’ll be able to earn:
- 6x points at participating Marriott properties.
- 3x points at US restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
Though it doesn’t launch until August, you can learn more about the new card or how you can upgrade your existing card here.
Updates to the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
The following benefits are being added to this $95-annual fee card:
- Automatic Silver elite status.
- Earn Gold elite status after spending $30k on the card in 2018 (changing to a $35k spend in 2019).
- Annual free night award (up to 35,000 points) upon card renewal.
- 15 elite night credits beginning in 2019 (limited to once per member).
With this card, you will earn:
- 6x points at participating Marriott hotels.
- 2x points on all other purchases.
Updates to the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express
The $95-annual fee business card offers the same benefits as the consumer card, and you also earn:
- 4x points on purchases at US restaurants, US gas stations, with wireless phone services from US providers and on US shipping purchases.
Sadly, Sheraton Club access will now only be offered to business cardmembers until August 2018.
Note that from August, Starpoints earned with your card will be renamed to ‘points’. In the meantime, you can continue to use your SPG Amex as usual.