– IHG has been changing the Best Rate Guarantee and instead of a free night you can now earn 5x the points
When you book directly with us, we promise you’ll always get the lowest price online. If you find a better price somewhere else, we’ll match it and give you five times the IHG® Rewards Club Points, up to a 40,000-point maximum – so you can focus on your stay, not your wallet.
This is a major drop from its very generous policy before. However I’m surprised the free night lasted so long as it became the target of way too many ‘travel hackers’.
I hope the BRG now becomes much easier to get approved (it was basically impossible before) but it’s generally not worth it for the 5x bonus points.
– SPG is running a status challenge to reach Gold with 9 paid nights and Platinum at 18 nights within 3 months
Simply contact SPG Customer Care to register and validate eligibility. Then select your three-month challenge period and start earning at any of the 1,500 participating SPG hotels and resorts (brands include St. Regis®, W®, Sheraton® and more).
Only accounts that have had no status in the last 5 years are eligible. But hey is it so hard to create another SPG account?
It seems Starwood sees much fewer elites now that everyone assumes it is becoming Marriott Rewards soon (which has a higher qualification criteria and less generous benefits).
This promotion is worth doing of you have some nights coming up. There is a good number of cheap Starwood properties in Indonesia, Turkey, Egypt that can be had under $50 a night.
Trivago makes it very easy to search worldwide for the cheapest chain properties.
The cheapest I could find right now is the Aloft Zhengzhou Shangjie at $34 a night.
– Norwegian seems to finally be able to secure overflight rights over Siberia opening up routes to Japan and China
– Kenya Airways is adding New York as their first US destination with daily flights scheduled from October 2018
Recommended for you:
- My Favorite Flights and Award Redemptions for 2017
- New IHG Rewards Club promotion – Spire Elite status and up to 15,000 bonus points
- Why you should sign-up for a Chase Ink Plus Business Card
- IHG Accelerate Q1 released, St Helena still without flights, free Club Carlson points, redeem Alaska Airlines on JAL, $1,600 Business Class to Jakarta
- An introduction to Qatar Airways Privilege Club, Award Chart, Award Availability, Fuel Surcharges & Destinations
- How to book Flying Blue awards without (or with very low) fuel surcharges
- New PointBreak list of hotels is available
- 35,000 Starwood American Express card, London to Bali and Australia $1,188 Business Class, Norwegian ready to launch Ireland flights, Air Berlin schedules San Francisco flights
- Le Club Accorhotels members get double points in Asia Pacific hotels
- Cheap flights from Kigali, Rwanda (KGL) to Dubai (DXB) $238 RT (RWF178,150)
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents.
Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines.
You can reach Torsten at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: Airways | bonus | bonus points | China | Earn | flights | Hotels | IHG | Indonesia | Japan | Kenya | Kenya Airways | Marriott | Marriott Rewards | New York | New York flights | Norwegian | points | promotion | travel | Turkey
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |