– Etihad is coming to grips with reality after burning through billions of dollars teh new CEO is taking some baby steps to restructure
Etihad confirmed to Reuters it has grounded its Airbus freighter fleet, five A330 Freighters, and that it had opted to operate an all-Boeing 777 Freighter fleet. It declined to comment on whether it had offered pilots unpaid leave.
“This freighter is the right aircraft for our long-term requirements,” Peter Baumgartner, the chief executive of Etihad’s airline operations, said in an email to Reuters.
Etihad needs to be bolder and innovate harder to turn their business around. Qatar is more nimble and much ahead in cabin configuration and catering. Emirates has better scale and brand – Etihad had momentum some years ago but needs to get this back – ideally when the new airport opens that will make the transfer experience more pleasant (now planned for late 2019).
– Finally! – American passport holders can get a $40 e-Visa for Brazil
I have been using my German passport for my trips in Brazil for the last few years but it is always a bit of a confusing experience – I’d rather get the eVisa now.
This move will surely help to bring up visitor numbers from the US. Brazil has more issues than the complicated and expensive visas though. The high cost of travel, the huge crime issue and the minimal English skills of the locals don’t make it an easy country to explore in depth.
Recommended for you:
- Amazing Qatar sale from Europe, Lufthansa almost ready to buy Air Berlin, Emirates stopped growing?, CVS stops sales of Paypal cards, $75 off Bloomingdales, 50% off Spotify, cheap Hyatt points with Daily Getaways
- Which frequent flyer programs will get you on the world’s longest flights?
- Airbus succeeds at blackmail, Etihad $75 lounge access, American Express Hilton cards now available, United’s new timeliness and Premium Economy launching soon
- Which airlines fly the A380 in First Class – and how you can book yourself a ticket using miles
- Best use of American Express Membership Rewards for flights
- Air France welcomes its 1st Airbus A350
- Jet Airways Economy Review New Delhi (DEL) to Kathmandu (KTM) (and return) B737, ITC Lounge Review DEL, Executive Lounge Review KTM
- An introduction to Qatar Airways Privilege Club, Award Chart, Award Availability, Fuel Surcharges & Destinations
- Air France Los Angeles (LAX) to Paris (CDG) Review in Economy Class AF65
- Etihad Regional Economy Review Doha, Qatar to Abu Dhabi, UAE or ‘Sir – may I see your boarding pass again? and again? and again…’
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents.
Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines.
You can reach Torsten at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: Airbus | aircraft | airline | AIRPORT | american | Brazil | cheap e-Visa | Emirates | Etihad | Etihad’s | executive | PASSPORT | Qatar | travel
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |