– Lufthansa is emerging as the only serious bidder in the Alitalia bidding war – one that is also strongly favored by the government
The company plans to add Rome (FCO) as their 5th main hub. $300 million for a controlling stake (or full ownership) seems like a deal of the decade to me!
The German group can pay between EUR250 and EUR300 million (USD294-352 million) depending on which assets it will be taking over. The offer only includes Alitalia’s aviation part, as Lufthansa is not interested in purchasing its ground handling unit. Lufthansa intends to trim down Alitalia’s fleet from the current 115 active aircraft to around ninety and focus on developing its long-haul operations out of Rome Fiumicino, which would become the group’s fifth primary hub after Frankfurt Int’l, Munich, Vienna and Zurich.
Il Messaggero reported that the government wants to close the deal by the end of January, at least two months before the parliamentary elections. While Lufthansa’s offer is satisfactory on many levels, the proposed employment cuts remain the biggest bone of contention. According to an online newspaper Lettera43, however, the German group is not in a hurry to conclude the negotiations and could extend them until a new government is formed after the elections.
The company is smart and plays the long game – just as with Air Berlin as it essentially wiggled itself out of one billion dollars by just waiting it out.
– Air Canada is taking part in the fare wars to China $421 Round Trip from San Diego to Shanghai
– WOW Air has Los Angeles to Tel Aviv on offer for $449 – just remember to bring no bags!
– without Frontier we would still pay $400 Round Trip to Miami from SFO – now it is just $190 without a carry-on
– good fares with Skyteam and Etihad from Chicago to Dar es Salaam for $671 Round Trip (easy to go on Safari or visit Zanzibar)
Recommended for you:
- An introduction to Qatar Airways Privilege Club, Award Chart, Award Availability, Fuel Surcharges & Destinations
- Which airlines fly the A380 in First Class – and how you can book yourself a ticket using miles
- Our favorite airfare deals in Business and Economy for December 22nd incl. Beijing, Osaka and
- East Africa to Canada in Business Class $1,886 RT, Uber flat rate packages, Norwegian new routes from Bergen, Air France invests in Air Côte d’Ivoire
- Lufthansa & Etihad to merge?, new Centurion lounge, 50k Chase United card, a Cheap way to New Zealand, Cathay cutting further, 3,000 bonus points per Marriott stay & more
- Our favorite Business Class and Economy Class Air flight deals for Nov 16th
- Wow helicopter crash on video (no injuries), Business Class fares from Teheran, escape Canada in style to Bangkok, Hilton Honors now allows free transfers, Uber serious about the flying car?
- $6 fares LAs Vegas to San Jose and more $15 Frontier deals, American considering unbundled fares, Norwegian $89 sales, use Qantas miles on El Al, COPA now uses TSA Pre, Air Berlin to cut long haul network
- Qatar buys into Cathay Pacific, Etihad 10% off any flight, WOW Air and LEVEL on a roll
- Wow Business Class Returns $2,156 LAX to East Africa, $2,396 LAX to Johannesburg, JFK to Jakarta $2,396, LAX to Puerto Rico $728 RT and more of our best Premium Fares
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents.
Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines.
You can reach Torsten at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: Air Canada | aircraft | Berlin | best fares | bidding | Canada | Chicago | China | Dar es Salaam | Etihad | Los Angeles | lufthansa | Miami | offer | Round Trip | Wow | WOW Air
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |