The drama about Air Berlin keeps everyone busy. I was hopeful not too long ago that teh airlien will find a buyer quickly and will be able to keep flying under a new name (or several new names).
In a very unlike German fashion the company is now cancelling flights bit by bit without any system to it.
– Long-haul flights from Berlin were first to go
– Abu Dhabi flights were next
Now AerCap, the aircraft leasing firm that provides jets to Air Berlin, has pulled ten of their aircraft – likely because the airline has missed their monthly payment.
All flights to the Caribbean (Curacao; Cancun, Mexico; Havana and Varadero, Cuba; and Punta Cana and Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic) are gone from on September 25.
In addition several Düsseldorf flight like Orlando and Boston are gone too.
The airline refuses to issue refunds for any bookings prior to August 15th (the day of the bankruptcy).
Lufthansa has provided rebooking for some of the Berlin flights but that does not seem to be an option anymore.
Etihad is rebooking passengers on flights via Abu Dhabi.
If you have booked with miles other than topbonus call your airline and request a rebooking – you may be limited to award space that is available now.
If you paid with a credit card call your bank and file a claim to get your money refunded.
if your Air Berlin trip is part of a package trip (that’s pretty common in Germany) the tour operator will likely provide a rebooking option for free.
If you have paid in cash via using other means you will have hopefully bought travel insurance or you will be in trouble. You can always sue Air Berlin but your claim will leine up with all otehr creditors’ claims.
Recommended for you:
- Which frequent flyer programs will get you on the world’s longest flights?
- Air Berlin Business Class Review Los Angeles (LAX) to Dusseldorf (DUS) A330
- Updated Bandung City Guide, 3,000 Miles to test drive an Audi, Air Berlin cancelling flights to Abu Dhabi and beyond, Hong Kong Airlines announces London, San Francisco and New York, Norwegian to run out of cash soon?
- Lufthansa & Etihad to merge?, new Centurion lounge, 50k Chase United card, a Cheap way to New Zealand, Cathay cutting further, 3,000 bonus points per Marriott stay & more
- Amazing Qatar sale from Europe, Lufthansa almost ready to buy Air Berlin, Emirates stopped growing?, CVS stops sales of Paypal cards, $75 off Bloomingdales, 50% off Spotify, cheap Hyatt points with Daily Getaways
- How to avoid US Airways baggage fees
- 35,000 Starwood American Express card, London to Bali and Australia $1,188 Business Class, Norwegian ready to launch Ireland flights, Air Berlin schedules San Francisco flights
- 150,000 Chase Marriott offer, free flight in Thailand, 2,000 Flexperks bonus offer, Etihad’s dropping numbers, Air Berlin’s crisis and Transasia bites the dust
- Etihad layoffs and Air Berlin to be sold to Lufthansa – is Etihad really in trouble?
- Double Etihad Guest Miles when flying with Philippine Airlines (and where to credit your Philippine Airlines flights)
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents.
Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines.
You can reach Torsten at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: Abu Dhabi | Abu Dhabi flights | Air Berlin | aircraft | airline | august | bankruptcy | Berlin | Card | credit | Credit Card | Dominican Republic | Etihad | Flight | flights | Germany | Long-haul flights | lufthansa | Mexico | miles | travel | Travel Insurance
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |