United $238 RT to Mexico, airberlin topbonus shuts down, Grabcar bullish on Myanmar, Germany’s air transportation tax to end?, Qantas Business and Economy updates, yes there is AA award space for some routes now
– United is attacking Volaris fares from the SF Bay Area and Sacramento, Fresno with $238 RT fares to Mexico (yes United includes a bag)
– the airBerlin topbonus program now has also filed for bankruptcy – earning and redeeming is on hold – we will have to see if majority owner Etihad will merge it with Etihad Guest eventually
– Grabcar is the app to get around in South East Asia – there is seemingly a car right next to you all the time – now the company is pushing into Myanmar
The average ride in South East Asia is just around $1.50 – and there seems no reason it will go up. Not an easy business environment.
– Germany’s incredibly high air transportation tax (instituted as a gift to teh Green party) is coming under pressure and may hopefully go away soon
– Qantas has big plans to fly longer routes and is improving Business and Economy Class cabins – it is about time!
– I haven’t used AAdvantage miles to Europe in a long time but there is some award space now if you are dying to use your miles