For some time now, I’ve been trying to reduce the sheer amount and weight of my travel belongings. Just two years ago I usually traveled with a big check-in Travelpro Duffel Bag. Since then, I have migrated to a Rollaboard (even for trips lasting 3+ weeks) and I’m now contemplating reducing it further and going on trips of 10-14 days with just a backpack.
Here are some things I have learned:
- Even in cold weather (like in Russia), as long as it is relatively dry then good sneakers will be as good as boots – so no need to carry boots around.
- Even in temperatures around 20 degrees, it’s enough to have a good down jacket, long underwear, a hat and a warm sweater to battle the cold. It’s important to stay on the move, though, so that your body provides plenty of heat.
- As long as you stay in a moderate, warm climate, you can reduce clothing further and just get ‘one of everything’ (e.g. one sweater, one pair of long pants, etc) and a one-week supply of everything that you wear underneath (such as t-shirts and underwear).
- Wearing flip-flops is not only comfortable but also eliminates the need for you to carry socks.
Now I still have a number of items to put in my backpack:
- A Canon DSLR with a 50mm lens, a zoom lens and a fisheye lens
- My MacBook Air
- Noise-cancelling headphones
- Lots of cables
I recently found two cool additions to my travel gadgets that save me lots of space…
I had never heard of them until a few weeks ago; these are earphones WITHOUT Bluetooth, a mic or controls for an iPhone. What…
Read the Amazon reviews and you’ll quickly realize why they are so popular. Once you figure out the snug fit (this is important) the sound quality is amazing; for me, it was as if I had never heard music before and like discovering the perfect pitch!
The earphones also completely block sounds out – you can have people yelling in your face and music just at a moderate volume will block this 100%. I took them to San Francisco‘s loudest streets and it felt like I was in Golden Gate Park.
The earphones fit in the smallest pocket (just like your Apple iPhone earphones) and I can finally leave my noise-cancelling headset at home.
This product was available at Walmart until recently for $49.99 but now sells again at $129 – still worth it.
I really like the Under Armour brand and have bought their apparel before – but I only saw the Swacket last week. It’s a combination of jacket and sweater and it does its job perfectly.
It’s not the most stylish, but it is warm like a sweater, keeps the wind out like a jacket and it’s also a hoodie. It won’t be much help in a torrential downpour but it can easily deal with a bit of rain.
The Swacket sells for $129 but there was a recent sale where it was $39, which I was lucky enough to take advantage of. It allows me to rely on just one jacket / sweater when going to a destination with cool night-time temperatures. If I can’t bring my carry-on, I can just wear it during the flight.