– Viet Jet is back with 22 cents tickets for domestic flights between March 1 to December 31
– AirAsia will now start Honolulu service on Jun 28, 2017
AirAsia has formally announced it will begin flights to the United States later this summer. The AirAsia (AK, Kuala Lumpur Int’l) longhaul unit said in a statement it will run a 4x weekly Kuala Lumpur Int’l-Honolulu, Hawaii, via Osaka Kansai, Japan, service beginning June 28. Operations are on-board A330-300 equipment.
The airasia.com website does not allow bookings yet. I’m hoping for the same $99 promo fares as their operations launch to Mauritius last year.
– Arik Air – Nigeria biggest airline seems done and has entered bankruptcy
As Nigeria’s largest airline, Arik Air reportedly owes AMCON more than NGN135 billion (USD429.6 million at the official bank rate) with other suppliers owed NGN10 billion (USD31.8 million). Aside from domestic debts, Nigeria’s crippling foreign currency shortage has also affected Arik Air’s ability to procure fuel and to pay off insurance premiums thus impacting its operations.
While the London-Lagos route is the highest yield route for British Airways and Virgin Atlantic the Nigerian airline market is a toxic environment for a business. I liked Arik Air (Review) but the end was easy to predict in fall 2016 already.
– Ghana wants their own airline – Arik Air was a major carrier from Ghana Airport – so likely they won’t continue the fifth freedom routes from Accra airport.
– Air France has quietly launched twice weekly flights to the Maldives – it will be a competitive route – Air France is the dominant carrier to Mauritius, Reunion and Madagascar but the Maldives are a rough terrain for them with no historical connections
Recommended for you:
- My Favorite Flights and Award Redemptions for 2017
- How to Get a Lie-Flat to Africa Part I: JNB and DKR
- Get 100,000 Bonus Membership Rewards points with The Business Platinum Card from American Express
- BA all systems down, what’s behind fly.com, $40 off $80 at booking.com, Delta adds (NO?) fuel surcharges for Virgin Atlantic, Air Asia goes to Cambodia
- Emirates does Athens – Newark, James Hogan to retire, AirAsia to start US flights?
- Best use of American Express Membership Rewards for flights
- How to find lie-flat seats to Africa Part II: CPT and ACC
- New options to reach Mauritius, Seychelles and the Maldives from the east
- Where to Live and Work as a Digital Nomad – Part III Asia
- St. Helena airport opens, Virgin Atlantic recruits Delta planes, Emirates $1,500 off First Class, another Air Asia incident
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents.
Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines.
You can reach Torsten at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: Air Asia | Air France | AirAsia | airline | AIRPORT | Airways | Asia | Atlantic | bankruptcy | biggest airline | British Airways | december | domestic flights | fares | fifth freedom | flights | France | Ghana | HISTORICAL | Holidays Inn | Honolulu | hotel booking | Japan | Kuala Lumpur | Maldives | market | Nigeria | Photo Review | review | summer | Traveling | Virgin | Virgin Atlantic
Don't miss - more topics from Mighty TravelsAAdvantage | Aegean Airlines | Aeromexico | Aeroplan | Air Canada | Air China | Air France | Air France/KLM Flying Blue | Air India | Air New Zealand | AirAsia | AirBnB | Airline Reviews | Alaska Airlines | Alaska Mileage Plan | Alitalia | American Airlines | American Express | American Express Membership Rewards | ANA | Asia Miles | Asiana Airlines | Avianca | Avios | Avis | Award Booking | Bank Bonuses | Best coffee | Best Rate Guarantee | Best Western | British Airways (BA) | Capital One | Cash Back Deals | Cathay Pacific Reviews | Chase Sapphire Reserve | Chase Ultimate Rewards | Cheap flights | Cheap Passport Photos | Cheap Visas | Checking Accounts/ Bank Bonuses | China Airlines Review | Choice Hotels | Choice Privileges | Citibank | Club Carlson / Radisson | Credit Card Deals | Currency Arbitrage | Delta Airlines | Delta Skymiles | Destinations & Inspiration | Emirates Reviews & Skywards | Error Fares / Mistake Fares | Etihad Reviews & Etihad Guest | Expedia Coupons | Fare Monitoring Service | Frequent Flyer Programs | Fuel surcharges | Getaround | Google ITA Matrix | Hainan Airlines | Hawaiian Airlines | HHonors | Hilton Honors | Hilton Hotels | Hotel Corporate Codes | Hotel Deals | Hotel Friends & Family Discounts | Hotel Loyalty Programs | Hotel Reviews | Hyatt | Iberia | IHG Rewards Club | Immigration & Airport Security | Immunization | Japan Airlines | Jetblue TrueBlue | Krisflyer | Lifemiles | Lounge Reviews | Low Cost Airlines | Lufthansa Miles and More | Malaysia Airlines | Manufactured Spend | Marriott Hotels | Mighty Travels Premium | Mileage Plus | Mistake Fares | Mountain Gorillas | Norwegian | Online Shopping Mall Deals | Orbitz Coupons & Deals | Priority Pass Lounges | Qantas | Qatar Airways | Radisson Rewards | Rapid Rewards | Ryanair | Saudia | Singapore Airlines | South African Airways | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Sri Lankan | StarHOT | StarwoodONE | ThankYou Points | Things to Do (City Guides) | TOP Travel Destinations | Travel Agent Rate | Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | Travel News | Travel Tech | Turkish Airlines Review | Uber | United Airlines | United Mileage Plus | World of Hyatt | Wyndham Hotels | Wyndham Rewards |