Table of Contents
- 1 The Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
- 2 The Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card – The Offer
- 3 What I would do with 50,000 Southwest Rapid Rewards Bonus Points
- 4 How to apply
- 5 How can I complete the minimum spend?
- 6 What if my application was denied?
The Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
This Chase Visa Signature is one of our perennial favorite travel rewards credit cards. Read on to see what you can do with the bonus points that you earn with the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card.
The Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card – The Offer
The Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card is offering 50,000 bonus points when you spend just $2,000 in the first 3 months.The $ annual fee is waived ??for first year of card membership.
- No foreign transaction fees to pay when using your card abroad
- 6,000 points after your Cardmember Anniversary every year
- Any points earned (including the sign-up bonus) count towards the Southwest Companion Pass
- Points Don’t Expire as long as your card account is open, No Blackout Dates, Bags Fly Free
With this card, you earn 2 points for every dollar you spend on Southwest Airlines® purchases and participating Hotel and Car Rental partners and 1 point elsewhere.
What I would do with 50,000 Southwest Rapid Rewards Bonus Points
Now let’s have a look at what you can do with all those bonus points!
These 50,000 points correspond to $850 in value for airfare – that is an outstanding offer!
Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards generally come at a ‘fixed value’ and replace about 1.3-1.7 cents in value that you would have spent otherwise. Here are some examples:
1) Using Southwest Rapid Rewards points for domestic itineraries
The one-way, $68 flight from San Francisco to Burbank can be had for 3,609 Rapid Rewards points + $5.60. That’s almost exactly 1.7 cents that you get per Rapid Rewards point.
You can choose to pay 11,344 points +$5.60 or $192 – again about 1.7 cents in value that you would get in this scenario.
2) Using Southwest Rapid Rewards points for International itineraries
In our example you can choose to spend 10,728 points + $35.90 or $209 (this includes the immigration fees and foreign airport taxes). This represents a value of 1.6 cents per (Southwest Rapid Rewards) point.
With the 50,000 bonus Southwest Rapid Rewards Sign-up Bonus you will likely get $800 in airfare. Put another way you can two and a half transcon Round Trips from one credit card sign-up. If you have friends and family on the other side of the US this is one Thanksgiving, Christmas and half of a summer roundtrip covered (if you book ahead and watch for the frequent Southwest sales).
How to apply
Chase has made restrictions to who likely gets approved. Chase wants to make sure you don’t look like a someone who goes from card to card.
If you have had no significant business with Chase but signed up for more than 5 cards (at any bank) within the last 24 months Chase will have questions for you.
How can I complete the minimum spend?
Put all your regular spend on it and read our guide to manufactured spending. $3,000 in 3 months should be really easy!
What if my application was denied?
Did you know that almost all my credit card applications get initially denied and eventually approved when calling the right reconsideration numbers?