Table of Contents
Once called the American Automobile Association, AAA is a a non-profit company owned by regional motor clubs. In 1900, AAA had just ten members. Now, 54 million members in the United States and Canada have joined for its vehicle roadside assistance – and a whole lot more.
What’s the AAA membership cost for?
The AAA membership cost of Classic level membership of $48 per year (plus a one-time new member fee of $20) covers a multitude of benefits, including:
- Towing benefits after breakdown up to 7 driving miles.
- Discounted rental car rates when you need a replacement vehicle because of a mechanical breakdown or roadside emergency.
- Hertz Gold membership for free (and you can also get Hertz Gold Plus Rewards bonus points after your first Gold rental, enough for one free rental day). Note that Hertz Gold membership is free to everyone now anyway 😉
- Emergency fuel delivery (you pay for the fuel).
- Extrication/winching service if your vehicle becomes stuck.
- Identity theft monitoring.
- Global travel emergency assistance.
- Vehicle locksmith service up to a value of $60.
- Referral to AAA-approved auto repair facilities.
- Select DMV transactions.
- 20% off CARFAX vehicle history reports,
- Various AAA discounts & rewards.
- Personal notary service for just $7.
- AAA Westways Magazine (bimonthly travel magazine) for free.
- Complimentary domestic maps, TripTik travel planner, and AAA TourBook guides.
- Roadside assistance for an RV or motorcycle for an extra fee.
What is the AAA membership cost?
When you join AAA, you do so at the Classic level of benefits. The current AAA membership cost of Classic level is $48 (plus a one-time new member fee of $20).
You can upgrade to AAA Plus or AAA Premier after the primary member of the household has been a member for 90 days and if none of the household members have been towed in that period. AAA Plus currently costs $78.
AAA Plus members can upgrade to AAA Premier at any time. The AAA membership cost for Premier is currently $104.
Former AAA members who previously had the Plus or Premier level of benefits in the past year can rejoin at the Plus or Premier benefit level.
So what are the top 5 reasons to pay the AAA membership cost?
1. First and foremost, the roadside assistance benefits at the Classic level are definitely worth the cost. If you lock your keys in your car or get a flat, $68 for the first year is a bargain!
2. The huge variety of discounts you’re entitled to include ones for non-car-related activities, like shopping, dining or even prescription medicine.
3. The road trip plans are a really nice touch. You can get free domestic road maps, guides to sights and services and personalized driving directions online with AAA. You can even request a printed TripTik.
4. Free identity theft monitoring and coverage up to $10,000 is not something you’d expect from a roadside assistance company, so AAA get full marks for helping customers to safeguard themselves.
5. AAA offer a pro-rata money-back guarantee. If you decide at any time of the year that you don’t want to be a member anymore, you’ll be refunded pro-rata (not including your one-time membership fee).