I'm usually not a fan of historic hotels. It's often cramped and the 'hardware' not up to modern standards. For me the (usually) good service can not rectify those issues.
So I was a bit hesitant to book the Place hotel in San Francisco but I have seen great reviews and I was not disappointed.
It's a category 5 hotel and I used 12,000 Starpoints for the night. The alternative was a room rate of $359.
– fantastic lobby and common areas that look more like Paris than San Francisco, awe inspiring!
– fantastic location on Market and New Montgomery
– fantastic, large, comfy beds with high quality linens
– fast Internet (though it is pretty unstable at times)
– well equipped bathrooms and a strong shower
– friendly staff
– Platinum amenity breakfast allows you to eat the whole buffet
– for a downtown hotel that caters to business travelers a lounge would be welcome
– my suite upgrade request was turned down at the front desk although Junior Suites showed available online, repeated calls to front desk eventually made an upgrade possible but I was too tired to switch rooms
Staying in this hotel feels special and unique. The environment is really pretty and the hardware has been update in the last renovation to match any modern hotel amenities.
If you are looking for an inspiring stay in downtown San Francisco specially for sightseeing – consider this place it will help you form good memories of this awesome city.