United is matching other top-tier status up to Premier Platinum with the current status match policy. It is valid until June 30th 2013 only.
In order to participate you will need an elite status with another airline.
Once matched you will need to complete the challenge as follows:
If you can fulfill the required challenge on or after July 1st you'll be able to keep the status until January 2015.
These are the Terms & Conditions.
– Offer is not valid for members who have participated in the OnePass or MileagePlus status match program within the last 5 years.
– A Premier membership card will be not issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Premier benefits on United, United Express or Copa-operated flights, by providing your account number when making reservations or at check-in. During the 90-day period, you may not have access to all reciprocal Premier benefits with United's partner airlines including access to Star Alliance lounges.
– Through this offer, you will not be able to qualify for a higher Premier status level than the one you are matched to in MileagePlus. For example, if you are matched to Premier Silver, you will not be able to earn Premier Gold status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 United or Copa PQM in the offer period. However, you will still be able to qualify to a higher status level if you reach one of the published qualification thresholds for Premier status.
– If you are unable to complete the PQM or PQS requirement within the 90-day period, your matched MileagePlus Premier status will expire and you may be returned to a lower Premier level, or general member status, at United's sole discretion.
– Qualifying PQM or PQS must be posted to your MileagePlus account.
If you have elite status with another airline and several flights upcoming with United this could be a good deal. Both Premier Gold and Premier Platinum will give you Star Alliance Gold status and selected benefits on United (i.e. access to Economy Plus).
United will give you access to the matched status for 90 days as a trial. So if you have mileage earning flights on United coming up in Economy this could be a great opportunity to earn status and upgrade your experience immediately.
Alternatively Aegean Airlines will give you Star Alliance Gold with just 20,000 (or less depending on the sign-up bonus) traveled. It WILL give you access to United Clubs but NOT to United Economy Plus.
I do not have too many United flights coming up so I won't take that challenge right now.