Priority Club is always good for a new years surprise as they adjust their award chart every year now in mid January.
While they are doing that usually some mistake award redemptions pop-up – last year and again this year.
Now the latest new award chart has gone into effect today. It does away with the confusing award chart per IHG brand and brings them all into categories. Eager Flyertalkers have compiled an interesting list. Here's my gist of it.
The good news:
– Intercontinental Moorea has come down to 25k/night – this is fantastic value and hopefully not just a glitch – if you are looking at a Moorea vacation book it now
– both the IC and CP in Danang have been reduced to 25,000 and 20,000 respectively
– the CP Jerusalem went from 25k to 20k, not the nicest hotel in the world but it's one of a few chain hotels in the city where I'll be in March
– both ICs in Seoul are now 35k points, that's pretty good value in a city where hotels tend to be pricey (at least when it's not as cold as of now)
– the Holiday Inn Resort Ao Nang (Krabi) is now just 10k points – again excellent value, I just returned from Krabi (though we stayed at the Sheraton) and its a wonderful quiet environment for a beach holiday
– the IC Koh Samui can be had for 25k points now
– 15k for the Holiday Inn Mumbai Airport and 25k for IC Mumbai (at trip report to follow soon) are very good value!
The bad news:
– the Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma in the Maldives goes from 25k to 35k, this was a 15k award just 2 years ago and it's a beautiful resort where I spent 2 nights last summer. However the Maldives have a wide range of award redemptions (SPG, Hyatt, Hilton) and two Radisson properties coming up in 2013/2014 as well.
– most properties in highly populated areas i.e. New York, Hong Kong, London went up or stayed the same (at an already high rate)
I'm actually not too concerned about the changes. IHG never provided much value for redemptions in the US at all and internationally there were few high value properties. I love the IC Moorea value – I hope it sticks. IHG now really offers some tremendous award redemptions in Asia.
Don't forget IHG has a very generous Best Rate Guarantee which gives you one free night if you can find a lower price. It's something I have been able to make use of many times. So I'm struggling to redeem any IHG points at all.
If you have existing reservations and the rate was reduced- just cancel and rebook (that's what I just did for the CP Jerusalem).
If the rate increased give them a call instead of booking online:
The Reward Night chart above is effective January 18, 2013. If the hotel that you originally planned to book now requires more points, simply call the Priority Club Service Center to reserve your Reward Night and ask for the original point price. This offer is valid through March 18, 2013.
Recommended for you:
About the author: Torsten is a serial entrepreneur who started almost a dozen ventures on four continents. Torsten's love for travel has brought him to 130+ countries and travel with most of the world's airlines. You can reach Torsten at [email protected]
This post has been tagged with: again | AIRPORT | award | award chart | beach | Book | Booking | brand | BUSINESS CLASS | coming | environment | EXCELLENT | gives | guarantee | holiday | Holiday Inn | Holiday Inn Resort | Holidays Inn | hotel | hotel booking | Hotels | IHG | IHG points | London | Maldives | Mumbai airport | offer | offers | Photo Review | Pointbreaks & more IHG | points | Radisson | redemptions | Resort | reward | service | Traveling | trip | world